BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) is the World’s leading environmental rating tool for buildings and the Building Research Establishment (BRE) Environmental Assessment Method for buildings.
It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and has become the de facto measure used to describe a building’s environmental performance. BREEAM was established in 1990 as a voluntary tool to measure the sustainability of new non-domestic buildings in the UK and incorporates a wide variety of factors. These include material selection, construction waste management, water reduction, and energy efficiency.
Since its introduction, BREEAM assessments have been increasingly encouraged through planning policy and guidance, and have seen increased demand from tenants and developers as BREEAM buildings are typically more efficient to run and demonstrate a commitment to protecting the environment.
BREEAM can be used to assess the environment performance of any type of building (new and existing). Standard versions exist for common building types and less common building types are assessed against tailored criteria under the bespoke BREEAM system.
BREEAM provides clients, developers, designers, and others with:
- Market recognition for low environmental impact buildings;
- Assurance that best environmental practice is incorporated into a building;
- Inspiration to find innovative solutions that minimises environmental impact;
- A benchmark that is higher than regulation;
- A tool to help reduce running costs, and improve working and living environments;
- A standard that demonstrates progress towards corporate and organisational objectives.
BREEAM addresses wide-ranging environmental and sustainable issues and enables designers and developers to prove the environmental credentials of their buildings to planners and clients.
Elan Environmental Ltd provide a comprehensive and professional BREEAM service working with our clients from the initial concept and design stage through to the construction, post-construction and operation phases. Our expertise and support aims to help you achieve your desired rating as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Our service provides:
- Assistance and advice at the concept stage;
- Pre-assessment rating calculation;
- Design team assessment workshop;
- Full design review;
- Interim certification;
- Full report leading to final certification;
- Post construction assessment and certification.